Friday, October 17, 2008

Farewell...We loved him very much!

We lost Tank tonight to a form of menegitis. We have been noticing he had been acting pretty strange lately. Today he seemed to be kind of blind and not all there. I took him to a friend to get her opinion and she told me I should get him checked out tonight. We went in and found out the aweful news. It broke all of our hearts. I haven't cried that hard in a very long time. Scott was there with me. We came home and had a very good talk with the boys. I guess it is genetic and there wasn't anything we could have done about it. He will be sorely missed here.

16 comments:

Erin said...

Heather! I am so, so sorry! I was wondering if everything was ok when I didn't hear from you tonight. I hope both the kids and you and Reagan are doing ok, it is so hard to loose a pet. He was such a cute little guy!

Heather!!! said...

This morning Ashley is searching all over that house asking "Wa Tae" with her arms outstretched as in questioning. She is asking over and over and over Where is Tank? She looks out back and see his stuff out there and he thinks Tank is out back. What can you do for a 21 month old. The rest of us understands and yes still cries quite a bit, but her, how long and what can we do for her?

Erin said...

I don't even know how to help Ashley. I'm not even sure there is a way. I have never been in this situation. You should probably move his stuff from the backyard and then at least she won't see it there anymore. A thought - maybe let her carry a pic around of him and just tell her he went bye bye. And maybe with the pic in her hand (even if she crumples it up) she can see him and won't go around asking for him. Just a idea. Maybe someone else has an idea. I just know when the boys were younger and they were sad because we gave our dog to Jeff's dad (Jeff trained it before we gave it to him) that Tyler held on to that pic for a very long time. He was 2 or 3 but it helped him to at least see a pic instead of nothing at all. I wish I could help more.

Richins Family said...

I'm so sorry about Tank. I hope you all are doing ok. It is tough to lose a pet. I agree with Erin. Let Ashley carry around a picture of him. Maybe that will help her.

Tani Ireland said...

Sorry to hear about Tank. It's never easy when something like that happens. We inherited Mark & Sarah's little dog Max when they moved. We were so sad and cried as well when we lost her to a genetic disease. Take care Heather.

April Leydsman Mason said...

That is so sad!! I'm so sorry about your loss. I know how it feels to lose a pet. It's like losing a member of your family.

Miriam H said...

Oh Heather, that is so sad!! I am so sorry that had to happen to your family! He looked like such a cutie!

The White Clan said...

How sad! I don't know how I would take it if Ford died. Even though I would love to get rid of him, I would be so sad if he died. I am so sorry!

Heather!!! said...

Thanks for all the support everyone! It really does mean alot. :) It has been really hard on baby girl, so we went and got 2 parakeets...yes I know...what am I thinking... :) But it has helped ALOT! Baby girl is trilled over them and Scott and Trev both picked one out. So they haven't chirped at all, and I got a good cage to keep it clean and easy, so I think were good. Thank Goodness. Thanks again!

Shondell said...

Heather, I was so sad to her about Tank. What a sweet dog. I think you never really get over loosing a pet. But it's good you have something to keep the boys going...plus, parakeets are great fun! We had ours for 7 years when there domestic life span is only 4 to 5. Oh, the boys will love training them...if ever you need help with clipping their wings or claws let me know...it's what I use to do when I worked at the pet store! :)

Unknown said...

Oh Heather tell your family how sorry we are. There just like a part of your family there a pain somtimes just like our kids but we still love them. Pleade let me know what i can do.

Audrey Henderson said...

heather, again I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is and I absolutely know how much you loved him. We are thinking about you guys!

Anonymous said...

WOw! you didn't have him very long, but they are like an instant member of the family. That is so sad. I am sorry, I am really glad it's you with the birds and not me. I would love to see them but I don't think I could do it.

Heather!!! said...

Hahaha! The birds are SOOOO much easier than dogs. You clean their cage daily and change their food. No playing, potty training, feeding, walking, etc. I guess that is why we got attached to Tank so quick. I am surprised at how much easier life is now. I will post pictures soon. :)

Heather!!! said...

By the way...thanks for all the love everyone! I am so lucky to have such good friends! Thank You!

DALLAS & LISA CHRISTENSEN FAMILY said...

Dallas told me the other day about Tank. I was so sad. I think I would be so lost if something happened to my Danny. For a couple of days after Danny would sit in the driveway and wait for Tank to come out and play. I think he sensed that something was not right.